Preparing & Writing your Certificate of Qualification Exam
How to Book your C of Q Exam
- The applicant will ensure that they are eligible to write the C of Q exam. For eligibility requirements click here
- The applicant will contact the Ontario College of Trades’ Client Services at 1-855-299-0028 (toll-free) to pay their exam fee ($150 +HST). Payment can be made by: credit card over the phone, cheque or in person, using Debit.
- The applicant will contact the Ministry of Labour, Training, Skills Development (MLTSD) to book an available exam date (to find the closest MLTSD office, click here). If the applicant requires any accommodations under the Human Rights Code that may assist in their exam, they will inform the Ministry at this time.
Exam Preparation Resources:
Accommodations for your Exam
Depending on an applicant’s personal circumstances, they may be eligible for alternate arrangements to write their C of Q exam. These are called accommodation requests. The applicant will need to make a request to the Ministry of Labour, Training, Skills Development (MLTSD) when they book their exam. Medical notes or other supporting documentation may be required to support this request.
Some accommodations include:
- Extra time to write the exam
- Writing the exam in a separate space to reduce distractions.
- Using an interpreter or reader. The interpreter or reader would need to submit an application to MLTSD in advance of the exam date to provide this service. The applicant will be responsible for finding their own interpreter or reader. The MLTSD will decide if the person the applicant proposes is eligible to act as the interpreter or reader for the exam attempt.
What the applicant will bring:
- Proof of identity. The applicant should bring government issued photo ID such as a driver’s licence or passport.
- Proof that the Ontario College of Trades exam fee was paid (not mandatory)
What the MLTSD will provide at the test centre:
- Exam question book, DO NOT WRITE IN THIS BOOK
- Scantron answer sheet
- Scratch paper
- A pencil and an eraser
- A calculator (if required)
- English and French dictionaries will be available,
- Unless accommodations were requested before the exam, no additional material will be allowed in the exam room.