“Apprenticeship is Learning On-the-job”
On-the-Job Training Duration:
The Industry Committee has identified 5,400 hours* as the duration generally necessary for an apprentice to become competent in the skills
required. There may be individual circumstances where the duration varies from this guideline.
*Hours worked by an apprentice in the trade of horticultural technician in excess of his or her regular hours shall be included in computing the apprentice’s hours of on-the- job training and work experience.
Roles & Responsibilities of an Apprentice:
- Practice safe work habits
- Use your apprenticeship training standard as a journal to keep track of which skills you have achieved
- Talk over your training plan with your Training Consultant, Employer, Union, or Sponsor
- Know what tools are required for your trade and how to use them
- Ask questions and keep asking
- Talk to your employer about your training needs
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and good work habits
- Ensure that you and your supervisor/trainer sign off skill/skill sets upon demonstration of competency.
For more information, visit: