To be eligible to write your Certificate of Qualification Exam, an apprentice needs to have:
- Ensure that your trainer(s) have signed each of the required skills and sections
- Ensure that the employer sponsor has signed beside each section on page 19 & 20
- Complete the last page, entitled Completing your Apprenticeship
- These hours can be with a single employer or multiple
- These hours equate to 3-4 years of training
- The letter must be on company letterhead and signed
- Stating total hours (which should be approximately: 5,400 hours)
- Stating that the apprentice is ready to complete their apprenticeship
- Level 1 and Level 2 must be successfully completed (passed)
- The Ministry will verify that you have completed both levels
- If you did not attend school and wrote exemptions tests, the certificates must be submitted and on file with the Ministry
If the Apprentice has completed the requirements above:
- Print and fill out the Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities (MTCU) Completing your Apprenticeship Form
Completing your Apprenticeship Form (PDF)
- The Apprentice will contact the MTCU and submit their “Completing your Apprenticeship Form“. The MTCU will advise the Apprentice of the required next steps.
- If the apprentice meets the requirements, the MTCU will approve the completion of the apprenticeship. The Apprentice will gain their Certificate of Apprenticeship (C of A).
- The Apprentice will now automatically become a Journey-person Class Candidate with the Ontario College of Trades.
- A Journey-person Class Candidate is qualified to write their Certificate of Qualification Exam (C of Q) to become a Journey-person in the Trade.
Exam Preparation Resources
- Exam Preparation Guide – Ontario College of Trades
- Red Seal – Learn what you need to do to Get Ready for your Red Seal Exam.